Learn professional recording techniques
This EDEXCEL approved part-time Sound Engineering course will give you a thorough and comprehensive overview of studio based sound engineering techniques. The course is designed with beginners in mind where previous experience of sound engineering, recording studios or the use of music software packages isn’t necessary.
“learn to become a studio sound engineer”
One to One learning environment
You have the option of taking the course on a one to one basis in person at our purpose-built recording and production studios or remotely online using the latest remote access software. You can also combine both options and switch between the two at anytime. This unique and practical hands-on sound engineering course is designed to help you understand what skills are necessary to work as a sound engineer within the music industry.
Get ‘real world’ practical experience of the recording studio environment
You will receive practical hands-on tuition from day one by professional sound engineers who are talented, approachable and patient. With one to one courses you have the freedom to take the course at your pace and during the course you will be exposed to the ‘real world’ experiences of a recording environment where you will record, produce and mix artists on course projects and assignments.
Choose your preferred music production software and tailor the content
You have the option of choosing your preferred music doftware packages to work with for the duration of the course and can be Apple Logic, Cubase, Ableton Live or Pro Tools. For more experienced students you have the option of tailoring the course content to suit your skill set that could include more advanced subjects.
Choose your schedule and learn at a pace to suit you
You have the option of a part time 8 or 12 week version which can be accelerated to 4 or 6 weeks if taken on a full time basis. Classes can be taken during weekday mornings, afternoons or evenings and even on Saturdays. It can also be fast tracked if studied on an intensive accelerated learning basis. The fundamentals of sound engineering, recording, mixing and mastering are covered.
Course overview and what you will learn
Signal flow, equipment set up and integration
- Signal flow, patchbays and routing
- Microphone pre amps and microphone types
- Introduction to recording with software
- Understanding DAW functions and tools
- Audio editing and manipulation
- Understand and improving work flow
Recording techniques part 1
- Microphone types and placements
- Understanding correct use of pre amps
- Stereo mic recording techniques
- Vocal recording techniques
- Introduction to mixing consoles
- Creating multiple headphone and monitor mixes
Recording techniques part 2
- Multitrack recording techniques, tips and tricks
- Recording acoustic instruments
- Drum mics and recording
- Phase correlation
- Recording guitars and cabinets
- Advanced guitar reamping
Software mixing techniques
- Mix preparation, workflow and listening skills
- The mixing environment and referencing
- Balancing, stereo imaging and placement
- Analogue, digital and hybrid systems
- Reverb, delay and modulation techniques
- Vocal correction and production
Advanced mixing techniques
- Utilising filters and parametric equalisers
- Vintage outboard processing vs plug ins
- Using series and parallel compression
- Gates, de-essers and expanders
- Creative use of side chain functions
- Final mix preparation and summing
Hardware mixing and mastering
- Hardware mix focus and integration
- Mastering formats and standards
- Referencing and metering
- Limiters and loudness maximizers
- Mix glue processing
- Printing and bouncing mixes
Book your place on the Sound Engineering certificate
Sound Engineering courses
I enrolled on the sound engineering diploma as I needed a course that would add to my skill set. I already had a strong production base so was impressed with the tutors delivery style that was specific to what I needed to learn. The mixing and mastering section was especially helpful to me as I’ve already released my music but felt my mixing skills needed attention.
Having had some experience of live sound I wanted to take my knowledge further. The course content was fascinating and the opportunity to use professional studios was a great experience. My tutors were excellent and the feedback and constructive criticism I received when I presented my projects was invaluable. Can’t wait to put my knowledge to use in the industry in the near future!
The course was really informative with a lot of detail and great support from my knowledgeable tutor. One of the highlights of the course was the freedom to use the studios outside of my lessons to work on my own material. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a path into working in a recording studio.