Learn, understand and develop your songwriting techniques
This EDEXCEL approved part-time songwriting course will give you a thorough and comprehensive training in composition techniques, giving you the skills you need to write and produce professional sounding songs.
You will understand and explore songwriting techniques from the initial idea stage to the final product, developing skills for composition in a variety of styles.
You can also use this course as an artist development programme where we will identify your strengths and weaknesses and tailor the course content to suit your creative requirements.
“Develop your songwriting skills from the initial stage to the final product”
You will be taught in our brand-new, purpose-built, air conditioned production suites and recording studios. This is a practical ‘hands on’ course where you will be exposed to the very latest techniques and equipment at all times during your course. This EDEXCEL approved certificate in songwriting is perfect for those looking to study in a central London location.
You will learn
Get ‘real world’ practical experience of the recording environment
During the course you will be exposed to the ‘real world’ experiences of a production environment where you will write, produce and mix artists on course projects and assignments.
You will receive practical hands-on tuition from day one by industry professionals who are talented, approachable and patient. You also have the freedom to take the course at your pace without the pressure of the classroom based environment
Learn to write and produce like the pros
The emphasis of this course is learn the techniques associated with composing professional sounding songs, recording vocal and mixing the final product.
This course can be taken on weekdays, evenings and even Saturdays and can be fast tracked if studied on an accelerated learning basis (4-6 weeks).
All aspects of songwriting and music production techniques, sound design and mixing are covered including the following topics:
- Introduction with song analysis
- Melodic and harmonic construction
- Synthesis and sound design
- Rhythm complexity, patterns and conventions
- Soundscape textures
- Form and structure
- Genre specific composition
- Mixing techniques
Songwriting introduction and DAW functionality
- Songwriting ideas and resourcing
- Integrating audio interfaces and controllers
- Use of editors and arrange funtions
- Improving workflow
- Recording techniques for vocals, guitars
- Audio editing and manipulation
Songwriting basics and DAW overview
- Cross genre song analysis
- Comparing composition techniques across repertoire
- Using melody, harmony and rhythm to create ideas
- Developing themes
- Creating melodic material
- Melodic structure
Harmonic construction and rhythm
- Understanding key signatures and intervals
- Understanding chord progressions, riffs and hooks
- Bassline construction against melody
- Time signatures
- Rhythmic features to melody and harmony
- Rhythmic complexity, patterns and construction
Texture, form and structure
- Monophonic and polyphonic textures
- Unison, streophonic and blending
- Experimenting with soundscapes
- Key forms, verses and chorus
- Structural components
- Melodic layers
- Presenting song arrangement and compositional ideas
- Synthesis and sound manipulation
- Sound design and manipulation
- Drum programming and editing techniques
- Midi programming and editing
- Layering techniques
Software mixing techniques
- Modern mixing techniques
- Stereo imaging and placement
- Software mixing and workflow
- Using of equalisers and filters
- Understanding compression, gating and limiting
- Creative use of delay, reverb and modulation effects
Songwriting development certificate timetable and fees
Sound Engineering courses
The course was really informative with a lot of detail and great support from my knowledgeable tutor. One of the highlights of the course was the freedom to use the studios outside of my lessons to work on my own material. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a path into working in a recording studio.
Sound engineering diploma
Having had considerable experience in songwriting and production and was looking for a course that would take my mixing skills to the next level. The course has vastly improved my technical ability thanks to the expert training received from the tutor. Would certainly consider further training with London AMP.”
Mixing and mastering crash course
I choose this course to further my career options within the music industry. I’ve been composing for some time but wanted to combine the use of technology to improve the overall production quality of my work. The one to one format was great for me due to lack of pressure in classroom environment. Would highly recommend to anyone looking to purse a career in music.
Music technology diploma