Learn, understand and develop your songwriting techniques online
This EDEXCEL approved part-time songwriting course will give you a thorough and comprehensive training in composition techniques, giving you the skills you need to write and produce professional sounding songs.
You will understand and explore songwriting techniques from the initial idea stage to the final product, developing skills for composition in a variety of styles.
You can also use this course as an artist development programme where we will identify your strengths and weaknesses and tailor the course content to suit your creative requirements.
“Develop your songwriting skills from the initial stage to the final product”
One to One learning environment
You have the option of taking the course on a one to one basis in person at our purpose-built recording and production studios or remotely online using the latest remote access software. You can also combine both options and switch between the two at anytime. This is a practical ‘hands on’ course where you will be exposed to the very latest songwriting techniques, tips and tricks. This EDEXCEL approved certificate in songwriting is perfect for those looking to study at home or in a central London location.
Get ‘real world’ practical experience of the recording environment
During the course you will be exposed to the ‘real world’ experiences of a production environment where you will write, produce and mix artists on course projects and assignments.
Choose your preferred music production software and tailor the content
You have the option of choosing your preferred music production package to work with for the duration of the course and can be Apple Logic, Cubase, Ableton Live or Pro Tools. For more experienced students you have the option of tailoring the course content to suit your skill set that would to include more advanced subjects.
Choose your schedule and learn at a pace to suit you
This 12 or 8 week part time course can also be taken on a full basis of either 6 or 4 weeks and can be taken during weekday mornings, afternoons or evenings and even on Saturdays. It can also be fast tracked if studied on an intensive accelerated learning basis.
You will receive practical hands-on tuition from day one by industry professionals who are talented, approachable and patient. You also have the freedom to take the course at your pace without the pressure of the classroom based environment
Learn to write and produce like the pros
The emphasis of this course is learn the techniques associated with composing professional sounding songs, recording vocals and mastering the final product. All aspects of songwriting and music production techniques, sound design and mixing are covered including the following topics:
- Introduction with song analysis
- Melodic and harmonic construction
- Synthesis and sound design
- Rhythm complexity, patterns and conventions
- Soundscape textures
- Form and structure
- Genre specific composition
- Mixing techniques
Songwriting introduction and DAW functionality
- Songwriting ideas and resourcing
- Integrating audio interfaces and controllers
- Use of editors and arrange funtions
- Improving workflow
- Recording techniques for vocals, guitars
- Audio editing and manipulation
Songwriting basics and DAW overview
- Cross genre song analysis
- Comparing composition techniques across repertoire
- Using melody, harmony and rhythm to create ideas
- Developing themes
- Creating melodic material
- Melodic structure
Harmonic construction and rhythm
- Understanding key signatures and intervals
- Understanding chord progressions, riffs and hooks
- Bassline construction against melody
- Time signatures
- Rhythmic features to melody and harmony
- Rhythmic complexity, patterns and construction
Texture, form and structure
- Monophonic and polyphonic textures
- Unison, streophonic and blending
- Experimenting with soundscapes
- Key forms, verses and chorus
- Structural components
- Melodic layers
- Presenting song arrangement and compositional ideas
- Synthesis and sound manipulation
- Sound design and manipulation
- Drum programming and editing techniques
- Midi programming and editing
- Layering techniques
Software mixing techniques
- Modern mixing techniques
- Stereo imaging and placement
- Software mixing and workflow
- Using of equalisers and filters
- Understanding compression, gating and limiting
- Creative use of delay, reverb and modulation effects
Songwriting development certificate timetable and fees
Sound Engineering courses
Having had some experience of live sound I wanted to take my knowledge further. The course content was fascinating and the opportunity to use professional studios was a great experience. My tutors were excellent and the feedback and constructive criticism I received when I presented my projects was invaluable. Can’t wait to put my knowledge to use in the industry in the near future!
The course was really informative with a lot of detail and great support from my knowledgeable tutor. One of the highlights of the course was the freedom to use the studios outside of my lessons to work on my own material. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a path into working in a recording studio.
I choose this course to further my career options within the music industry. I’ve been composing for some time but wanted to combine the use of technology to improve the overall production quality of my work. The one to one format was great for me due to lack of pressure in classroom environment. Would highly recommend!